Wednesday, 3 August 2011

An Orange Door


I seriously hadn’t noticed it at first. When I first went to view what was to become my new apartment, I didn’t really pay any attention to its entrance. It wasn’t until I had actually bought the place that I noticed I was now the proud owner of an orange door.

Now this colour and I have a bit of a history together. I once was the proud owner of an orange sofa*. I did not have a particular thing for the colour orange, I just really liked that sofa. It was the first really expensive item I ever bought for myself and I loved how that made me feel. And I loved the idea of having one bold, sunny center piece in a room with an otherwise neutral colour scheme. Not everyone got that though.

OBVIOUSLY having an orange sofa meant no other colour would ever be pleasing to my eyes. Had I known that my choice in settee would be seen as an open invitation to buy me orange-coloured knick-knackery I might have thought twice. No matter how singularly hideous, if an item had a tangerine, apricot or pumpkin hue I would surely treasure it for the rest of my life. It was a good year for my local goodwill centre. Or not, as the case may be.

I have to admit that the colour orange is now firmly back into my life though. Even if it does remain on the outside of my home. And to those who raise an eyebrow at such a vibrant shade of door: I’ll have you know that according to the principles of Feng Shui (here we go, more eyebrows raised), orange happens to be a very auspicious colour for a front door that is south-facing. Which it does. I’ll best not mention the OTHER Feng Shui branch though that says I’m doomed with anything other than a black front door. Bit of a downer that.

In all honesty, I love coming home to my door with its happy sunny colour. And let’s face it, who can say they have an orange-coloured front door (apart from the other people in my apartment building that is)? Join me in the Orange Door Movement and revamp your front door today! If you need any more persuasion, read these 7 reasons to paint your front door orange. Do ignore the bit about Dutch people at the end though.

* It was a not-too-in-your-face dusky tangerine and really quite sophisticated. Honest.

image by 123rf.com stock photos

2 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!! Glad the rest of the world will now finally get to know and appreciate your talent for storytelling :-)
    Love, your burning-the-midnight-oil-to-get-blog-or-website-ready buddy Fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to see the orange door for real!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I do love comments, so please don't be shy and share your thoughts.