Sunday, 4 September 2011

Conversations overheard


I was just about to leave the Jheronimus Bosch Art Centre yesterday, when an elderly gentleman came rushing through the doors, looking excited and flustered. 

He stormed up to the information desk, looked at a bit of paper in his hand and blurted out what is now in my personal top 5 of best openings to a conversation ever:

'I'm looking for something with a blue kettle on its head!'

I suspect the average person would need some time to digest that remark.

Not so the lady behind the desk (no spring chicken either) who promptly replied, in a rather flirty manner, a mischievous twinkle in her eye: 'Well, I do hope you're not expecting ME to produce a blue kettle and put it on MY head, do you?'

We like her.

When he shot her a bewildered look, she took pity on him and directed him towards the desired image. Because obviously this particular art centre houses such a fantastic array of absurdities that 'something with a blue kettle on its head' is actually by far not the weirdest image or object you could hope to find here. If you thought the Monster Fountain was bizarre, then you're in for a treat.

And if you're not a fan of Bosch (I'm still not sure whether I am), then the art centre is still well worth a visit if you love all things quirky (that would be me) or because of the beautiful Sint Jacobskerk it is housed in. So just go and have a look for yourself. I'm not taking any responsibility for your possible nightmares afterwards, mind.






Photos taken with iPhone and then given an Instagram filter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I do love comments, so please don't be shy and share your thoughts.