Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Book Crossing


It's a book by Simon Carmiggelt.

And I found it yesterday - only a few steps away from my apartment building. A little present. For free. To pass on to others after I've enjoyed it myself.

I had heard of the concept of Book Crossing before and it really appealed to me. It starts with people buying a book (or using one of their own), then labelling it and 'setting it free' - hopefully for a journey around the world. But I had actually never come across a 'released' book before (let alone set one free myself). Did I already mention I LOVE this idea?



I haven't read anything by Carmiggelt in ages, but I used to quite like his books. They're a bit on the melancholy side but with lots of humor in them all the same. He did great cat stories too. I actually came across Carmiggelt several times in Amsterdam when I was in my early teens - he was always mumbling to himself. Probably working out a great plot!

I'm going to enjoy re-reading him. And then I'll lovingly put the book back in its plastic wrapper and set it free again.

I've already thought of just the spot. And I know I'm going to love checking its whereabouts from time to time.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, ooh, I read about this concept ages ago and was really in love with it. I think it's a great idea... and you never know whose life it could brighten up at just the right moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe - wonder where you're gonna set it free again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I have not been very great about my Post(card)Crossing project but I just love the idea of groups of people sending out books and postcards into the world to complete strangers...very cool :)

    Also, thank you for your comment on the Jean Beliveau post. It makes me feel so great to know that a post really connected with somebody besides me :)

    And I have been feeling the same lately - obsessing about where I currently am and where I constantly dream of being!

    We will get there though...it just takes heart and persistence :)

    Jenn xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS a very cool concept isn't it? I think I'm going to 'send out' some more books - but I'll buy them in that case as I don't think I can part with any of my treasures.

    And yes - we'll get there - if we don't allow ourselves to get discouraged - not for long anyway! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I do love comments, so please don't be shy and share your thoughts.